We are happy to introduce you to our newest crew members who have just joined our Arizona studio; say hello to Tucsonan Liz Gorman (LG,) Mexican at heart, Alondra Ramos (AR,) Doug Ahmann (DA) hailing from "Magic City" (Aka Minot, ND!)and, last but not least, Phoenician Adriano Vengechea(JJ). To all four of you, welcome to Nelsen Partners! We are really excited to meet you in person very, very soon.
Take 90 seconds to find out which of our new crew members has started lifting weights and who lifted their gardening game. One found some new Netflix shows to binge, and lastly, whose morning hike might be accompanied by a good Anime episode.
A few weeks ago, a couple of them painted Easter cascarones while another just broke them, and guess who just watched the show and ate the candy! While COVID-19 hasn't fully dissipated, we have asked our team about the bucket list buildings they must visit post quarantine, favorite pavilions, and yes, their dream pools!
Read below to find out more about our new crew and see what renowned architect they decided to commission for a one-of-a-kind pool in their backyard . (Sorry, Le Corbusier didn't make the cut!)
PS. See you soon, by Zoom!
Where are you from?
- LG: Arizona native, Tucson
- AR: Mexico
- DA: Minot, North Dakota
- AV: Phoenix, AZ
Where did you go to school?
- LG: Being from Tucson I probably should have gone to U of A but ended up at ASU.
- AR: CUNY - NYC College of Technology
- DA: North Dakota State University
- AV: Arizona State University
What's the first building you will travel to visit post-quarantine?
- LG: We've had a trip planned to Italy for over 1.5 years now and then Covid hit and had to postpone it, twice. As soon as they allow tourists again the first building on the itinerary is to Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute.
- AR: Frank Lloyd Wright house in Scottsdale AZ.
- DA: The Office.
- AV: I don't know.
Speaking of outdoors, what's your favorite pavilion?
- LG: I don't know if it's my favorite but it's probably the latest to make it to the list and is out at Arcosanti they have a beautiful pavilion by the foundry. I love that place if you haven't gone check it out and get yourself a bell, every architect needs one.
- AR: Jenny Sabin Studio’s “Lumen”.
- DA: I'm not up on my Pavilion game I guess.
- AV: I don't have one.
Do you have any new hobbies that were discovered during COVID-19?
- LG: I've always had a garden but Covid turned it up to an eleven.
- AR: I started to lift!
- DA: Found some new Netflix shows
- AV: Hiking, Airsoft, Rc Cars, watching Anime w/ my son
- LG: Felt tip.
- AR: Micron
- DA: Ink
- AV: Currently, zebra f301 metal ball point pen
What famous architect would you pick to design a pool for your backyard, and what would it look like?
- LG: Let's see what Renzo could do with that project type, maybe it would be a clear glass globe.
- AR: Tadao Ando - and it would look like a very tranquil concrete masterpiece
- DA: Frank Gehry - BP Pedestrian Bridge
- AV: Zaha Hadid. I am not sure, but it would be fun.
- LG: I play the harp, stairway to heaven anyone?
- AR: Knitting
- DA: I make a mean enchilada.
- AV: It's still hidden.
Scuba diving or riding the flamingo float?
- LG: You go and I'll watch your stuff. I don't like water but I'm perfectly happy on the beach.
- AR: Scuba diving.
- DA: Flamingo float.
- AV: Scuba diving.
If you could be any animal...
- LG: An otter (minus the water part). They are fun, curious and always doing something, can't sit still.
- AR: Panda.
- DA: Penguin.
- AV: Sea turtle.
Do you prefer to watercolor the Cascarones or Smash them (you can say watch and eat the candy)?
- LG: I'd paint then smash.
- AR: Watch and eat the candy!
- DA: Never had the pleasure.
- AV: Watercolor.
What does Architecture look like this 2021?
- LG: I feel like there will be a ton of construction since projects went on hold last year.
- AR: Spacious with lots of natural light
- DA: Global, ecological and inclusive
- AV: Not sure. Hopefully it will be something great.
What are you thinking about right this second?
- LG: Traveling. I just got a text from my husband about our next trip.
- AR: breakfast!
- DA: How to answer these questions
- AV: Why does it feel like this took longer then it should have?
What are you doing 10 years from now?
- LG: Maybe 10 years from now I've conquered my fear of water and bought a boat.
- AR: I'm living in a tiny house, off grid and in the middle of the woods. Hopefully by a lake.
- DA: Hopefully still above ground.
- AV: Working on my "greatest project ever".