We are happy to welcome our newest Arizona folks: Aaron Escamilla (AE), Brandon Powell (BP), Gene Wowk (GW), and Josh Pentland (JP). To all four of you; welcome to Nelsen Partners, we are so happy to have you on our team!
Take 90 seconds and find out which of our crew members will do a Karaoke beat-box match performance, who will give Frank Lloyd Wright an afterlife ring, and last, can you guess who's left handed spelunker?
Sunlight in Arizona is still powerful anytime of the year! Don't forget to wear sunscreen, it's hot out there in the Sonoran Desert. Read below for more and stay sun safe!
Where are you from?
- AE: I am originally from Chihuahua Mexico
- BP: I grew up in a small town called Yorba Linda, CA. Yet I have been in Phoenix for the past 4 years!
- GW: Tucson, AZ
- JP: I was born in San Diego, CA. Grew up in Phoenix and SoCAL
Where did you go to school?
- JH: Arizona State University
- BP: Arizona State University
- GW: University of Arizona
- JP: I went to ASU and U of A.
If you had to be a building, which one would you be, and why?
- AE: I would be a custom home so I could be built to work with the environment I am in to keep my occupants comfortable and safe wile facilitating the lifestyle of my occupants.
- BP: Peter Zumthor's Allmannajuvet Zinc Mine Museum (the museum building). Not only is it deeply rooted in historical references, but it rests along a beautiful stream in the middle of Norwegian Fjords!
- GW: Falling Water because it is perpetually modern despite how old it is.
- JP: I would be the Wayfarers Chapel because it sits on a hill in Palos Verdes California. Has a stunning view of the ocean… ocean breezes all day long…
When not at work, what are you doing?
- AE: Taking care of my little girl
- BP: Usually traveling, hiking, spelunking, or sleeping!
- GW: Spending time with my family.
- JP: Hanging out with my dog and wife, riding bike or playing guitar.
- AE: Felt tip pen
- BP: Pilot Razor Point Pens - They don't smear when I write. #lefthanded
- GW: Blue because it's calming...
- JP: Paper mates or micron.
If Nelsen Partners had a beach house, where would it be?
- AE: Hawaii
- BP: Stavanger, Norway!
- GW: Carlsbad, CA
- JP: A high-rise condo in Laguna Beach or Manhattan Beach
What famous architect would you pick to design a pool for your backyard?
- AE: BIG Architects
- BP: Aalvar Alto; a kidney pool, of course!
- GW: Frank Lloyd Wright
- JP: Tadao Ando 'cuz he works with concrete and water.
Sunscreen or Tanning Lotion?
- AE: Sunscreen
- BP: Suncreen
- GW: Sunscreen
- JP: Sunscreen I'm a ginger
Your spirit animal?
- AE: Wolf
- BP: Philippine tarsier (A wacky species of Lemur)
- GW: Tiger
- JP: Lion
- AE: Beatboxing
- BP: Attentive listening. More illusive than hidden…
- GW: Figuring out stuff…
- JP: Karaoke
- AE: Lime
- BP: Cherry - classic and simple
- GW: Orange
- JP: Anything real chocolate
What are you thinking about right this second?
- AE: Wrenching on cars
- BP: How to design a home that functions as a wildlife refuge for endangered butterflies on the California coast.
- GW: I'm almost finished.
- JP: How to draw a specific detail, lol.
What inspires your passion for Architecture?
- AE: I like that as solid and unmovable architecture is it has the ability to be a catalyst for change and facilitates the fluidity of people and ideas.
- BP: The ability to create an atmosphere that can both deceive and inspire
- GW: Problem solving.
- JP: I love creating stuff.
What are you doing 10 years from now?
- AE: Enjoying life with my family
- BP: Still designing and more traveling!
- GW: Continuing to learn and grow…
- JP: Architecture.